“Remember Remember presents Glock Rock a selection of some of my favourite uses of my favourite instrument, the Glockenspiel.
Whether used alongside Marimbas, Xylophones and Vibes as part of a multi timbrel tuned percussion polyphony as by Steve Reich, or Moondog, or carrying a sweet lead melody as on Shuggie Otis’s ‘Strawberry Letter 23′, squaring up to the challenge, and succeeding, of counterpointing a Jimi Hendrix guitar solo on ‘Little Wing’ or just contributing to a cacophony of Acid Mother’s Temple’s reading of Terry Riley’s ‘In C’, the glockenspiel always blends, always belongs, but never offends.
My apologies and please correct me if any of the examples given here are not in fact Glockenspiels, and further apologies for the non-inclusion of Bruce Springsteen’s ‘Born To Run’. The Boss, im afraid, is not the boss of me.”
1. Shuggie Otis – Strawberry Letter 23
2. Steve Reich – Drumming Part 4
3. Os Mutantes – Adeus Maria Fulo
4. The Beatles – Only A Northern Song
5. Pentangle – Three Dances: Brentzel Gay/La Rotta/The Earl Of Salisbury
6. Moondog – Suite Equestria
9. Fridge – Drum Machines and Glockenspiels
10. The Beach Boys – Sloop John B
11. Acid Mother’s Temple and the Melting Paraiso UFO – In C (Excerpt)
12. The Jimi Hendrix Experience – Little Wing
Photo by Sonny Malhotra